The knowledge we’ve gained from handling millions of international clinical supply shipments has helped us to develop an expertly managed service.
Whether your study is in a traditional or an emerging market region, our end-to-end distribution solution will help you manage the shipping of clinical supplies worldwide. Our expertly managed shipping allows us to anticipate challenges before they cost you patients and time in your clinical program(s) and help reduce budgetary requirements, timelines, and navigate the peaks and troughs of global distribution requirements. Critically, Almac provides the knowledge on import/export and movement of investigational products across all global markets and will provide strategies to make the best use of clinical supplies and ensure maximum performance of your clinical program.
GMP compliant facilities and our dedicated supply chain management staff will accurately and efficiently help you find the right strategy for your clinical study. From small-scale Phase 1 studies to international mega-trials, we have successfully managed thousands of protocols.
Global reach, expertly managed for you
- A global depot network with single inventory database
- Expertise in biological, controlled and ambient product delivery
- Industry leading compliance rates
- Control tower knowledge – import/export, courier management and shipping lane data analysis
- Industry leading shipping and monitoring technology and actionable data
- Holistic view of global logistics, IRT, site supply and production planning
- Import services and ability to navigate customs issues
- Innovative technology to manage the complete supply chain – Shipping Temperature Electronic Monitoring System – STEMS and temperature surveillance services
Global Depot Network
Over 25 years’ experience managing thousands of clinical programs worldwide.
We understand how challenging the management of a clinical supply chain can be. International trials require global facilities in strategic regions combined with local insight and experience of the various regulatory requirements. Investigative products must be supplied to sites effectively and efficiently. You need a strong shipping strategy with temperature control and the robust management of the supply chain.
Our approach is integrated, from shippers and monitors to courier management processes and online decision making tools. We provide strategies that go hand in hand with IVR management, which manages peaks in demand and provides the most efficient direct-to-site (or depot) approach.
We’ve invested heavily across all of our main sites to increase capacity and resource for IMP storage and shipments. This strategy continues with additions across all three sites for increased ambient, refrigerated and controlled drug storage. Our latest investment includes a new facility in APAC opened in 2015 and provides a global resource to support your team and meet all of the protocol demands in this region.
With experience of shipping to over 110 countries globally, we can offer expert guidance on the drug shipment process at the start of each protocol. This can contribute to faster study start-up dates and the removal of unneccessary delays.
Experience and technology you can trust
- Extensive global coverage in covering all key markets with supply chain management oversight
- Specific expertise in end-to-end management for biologics / biosimilars
- Controlled ambient temperature 59-77°F. Refrigerated 36°F, -4°F, -94°F
- Controlled drug shipping of clinical supplies
- Experience managing global Phase III programs for several of the top selling biological products on the market
- Direct data integration with IXRS® (IRT) which links site activity with distribution, allowing for seamless ordering, inventory management and reporting
- Importation services with experience in distributing thousands of protocols to sites across the globe
- ‘My Clinical Supplies’ – our on-line global reporting system for inventory and distribution orders
- Employment of strategies to minimise waste and enhance control of the supply chain i.e. – forecasting, site inventory and distribution management
- Dedicated depot staff with the on-going expansion of our global depot network
Global Depot Network
Strategically positioned in all emerging markets
We provide both planning foresight and an optimum distribution strategy (a combination of direct-to-site shipments and using in-country or regional depots) to ensure your product arrives on time, to sites across the globe. With our expanded presence in Asia, we can also serve all the key market needs for your clinical programs.
Our extensive depot network means you can outsource the complete distribution function, crucially allowing valuable internal resources to be deployed into other key areas.
- Advising clients on the best strategy for a clinical study – i.e. ship from master depot, direct–to-site, in-country depot or a hybrid strategy
- Having a flexible approach, which allows for back up depots and contingency planning
- All depots are audited routinely to ensure the highest standards of GMP are maintained and managed by our dedicated depot management team
- Ability to handle ambient, 36-46°F, -42°F, -947°F and controlled drugs (see fact sheet for current details)
- A holistic view of the supply chain, allowing you to utilise us for end-to-end supply chain management
- Operating from a global, single inventory platform with on-line visibility for ease of access and reporting, all of which is accessible from our proprietary My Clinical Supplies system
- Knowledgeable staff who provide innovative options, guidance, and understand the links between IRT supply strategies, distribution and the full clinical supply chain
Download our Global Depot Brochure
Putting people at the center of what we do
We now offer direct-to-patient shipments from clinical sites directly to patient’s homes. This is available for studies with Clinical sites in the US, Canada and throughout Europe.
We are continuously looking for ways to provide better and more efficient service offerings to accommodate the busy lives of the patients, clinical sites, and sponsors that we work with. We understand that patient recruitment and retention is one of the biggest challenges to the success of clinical trials. Our new innovative solution of shipping clinical trial material direct to patients’ homes offers more flexibility and aims to improve patient compliance.
From our doors to the clinical sites, to the homes of participating patients – our efficient approach is integrated across all touch points.
- Suitable for both temperature-controlled and non-temperature controlled shipments
- This service is best suited to trials that:
- Involve drugs with low risk safety profiles
- Have clinic visits where there is no medical assessment required and the patient is only returning to get additional study drug
- Have medical assessments that can be done over the phone
- Have patients that have a difficult time getting to and from appointments
Everyone benefits from direct-to-patient shipment:
For the sponsor:
- Lower cost per patient
- Reduced number of clinic visits
- Lower dropout rates due to patients missing clinic visits
- Improved enrolment rates due to lower travel demands
For the site:
• Reduced number of clinic visits
For the patient:
• Reduced travel and associated costs
• Reduced number of clinic visits
‘Josh Weathers, Business Development Group Manager of Almac discusses our clinical trial distribution service in the US and Canada in the following Q&A video interview’.