In 1968, our late founder and Chairman, Sir Allen McClay, pursued his vision of one company making a substantial contribution to healthcare across the globe and began the journey of Almac. Today, Allen’s vision and legacy continues to live on through our valued employees. Our unique culture, passionate people and constant drive for innovative solutions is at the heart of what we do and makes Almac a very special organisation.
We are proud of our global reputation for excellence built over 50 years of client service, delivering expertise right across the drug development lifecycle and offering a tailored solution to each of our clients.
Galen founded by Allen McClay
Galen Ltd was founded by Allen McClay who was inspired by the Greco-Roman doctor and father of modern medicine Claudius Galenus and his philosophy of experience through zealous research.
Pharmaceutical Manufacturing commences in Craigavon, Northern Ireland
Clinical Trial Supply operations commence in Craigavon
- API Manufacturing and Chemical Development services established in Craigavon
- Expansion to the US with Clinical Trial Supply operations commencing in Audubon, PA, USA
Galen Ltd floats on the stock market to become Galen Holdings Plc – Northern Ireland’s first £ billion company
Purchase of ICTI later to become Clinical Technologies, Princeton, NJ, USA
- Clinical Trial Supply business acquired from Duke University in Durham, NC, USA
- Galen Holdings announces the acquisition of US company Warner Chilcott and restructures into two separate units – Galen Pharma and Galen Services
On Friday 28th September 2001, Dr Allen McClay OBE, CBE announced his retirement from Galen Holdings
The Almac Group was founded
The Almac Group was founded by Dr Allen McClay and Galen Holdings PLC announced that it had agreed to sell its API Manufacturing and Chemical Development, Clinical Trial Supply and Clinical Technologies businesses to Almac
Global Headquarters open in Craigavon
- Almac opens its Global Headquarters in Craigavon
- Almac acquires its Biomarker Discovery & Development business and relocates it within its Craigavon campus.
- Almac announces the acquisition of Pharmaceutical Manufacturing operations from Galen Holdings Plc
Acquisitions and purchases
- Almac acquires Peptide & Protein research facility in Elvingston, Scotland
- Dr Allen McClay announces the purchase of Galen Ltd, the UK based Ethical Pharmaceutical Products Sales and Marketing business
Opening of dedicated facilities for GMP formulation development and biomarker discovery & development services
Dr. Allen McClay, CBE, becomes Sir Allen McClay when Prince Charles knights him at Buckingham Palace
Investments and Discovery
- Almac invests $120M in its new North American Headquarters (NAHQ)
- Creation of Almac Discovery, an independent company focussed exclusively on the discovery and development of novel and innovative approaches to the treatment of cancer.
On 12 January, just months before the NAHQ is completed, Sir Allen McClay passes away – However, his vision lives on through his work and the commitment of the Almac Group and family
On 18 May, Senator George Mitchell officially opened Almac’s new North American Headquarter facility in Souderton, PA
- Opening of dedicated facility for Non-GMP formulation development.
- Opening of Commercial Packaging facility in Audubon, PA.
Expansion into Asia
- Expands Asia pacific operations
- Establishes regional operations center in Singapore
- Announced the acquisition of 100% shares of Arran Chemical Company and expands Biocatalysis services.
- Almac confirmed a £16 million investment to expand its formulation and analytical development services to meet ongoing client demand – operating a significant proportion of the 70-acre Charnwood Campus in Loughborough, England